I had a chance to visit Cape Cod this weekend, and now that I've been there, I can see what all the fuss is about... it is stunning - and the good thing is that because we went so late in the fall, there were really no tourists, so no traffic and everything was very quiet and low key.
I went to stay with some friends from Greenwich who recently bought a little cottage up there - I was in NY for a course the following week, so it was great timing. The one thing I guess I knew, but didn't really understand, was just how many people live along that eastern coast - we drove from Greenwich to the Cape and I could not believe the traffic along that highway... we had to pass through New Haven, then Providence (R.I.) and finally got to the Cape - and my friends live way at the far tip, closest to Provincetown - so it seemed to take forever to get there, for really what is a pretty short distance.... I can't imagine doing that haul in the summer when half of the city is escaping up there.
Anyway, it was well worth the trip - we had a very relaxing weekend, and did a couple great runs along the dunes along the coast - there were hardly any people around so it seemed like we had the entire place to ourselves. We went right to the very tip of the Cape, where there are several interesting lighthouses that have been there forever... I have to say that it was FREEZING out there though - with the north wind blowing like crazy on the bare dunes... I guess that is a great place to go whale watching - when the weather is little warmer!
The Cape is known for the unique quality of its sunlight, so is a haven for artists, who flock their to capture the light on dunes at all times of the day and night....
No comments:
Post a Comment