
Well, it's day 4 in Umbria, and we've seen a TON. My professor, Antonella, is very organized and every day is a cultural and educational experience, to say the least. Our fabulous guide, Eduardo (who is 65, with 9 children, and two masters degrees) is like travelling with a book - he knows everything about this region, every stroke of every fresco in every church or building, so we've been getting a thorough education on many of the famous works in this region.
During the past 4 days, we've visited many of the small hill towns in this area, which are all within a couple hours of where we are staying, outside Perugia. They are all amazing, in that they are all built into the sides of steep cliffs and now are all ancient cities which are perfectly preserved - it's like stepping back in time, climbing through their narrow cobblestone streets. And every time we reach somewhere that we think is the most beautiful place ever, the next city is even more spectacular than the last! It really is unbelievable..
We've visited Gubbio, Todi, Orvieto (where we tasted wines in the old Etruscan wine cellars that were built in 1290) and visited an ancient Etruscan burial ground (Necropoli) outside of Orvieto, from 700 B.C., Spello and Montefalco..
Yesterday was a highlight, as we spent most of the day in Assisi, visiting the Basilica of San Francesco (St. Francis of Assesi), with its amazing walls and walls of frescos and artwork - there are two huge churches, built one on top of the other, plus many other important oratorios with more frescos... it is amazing how old and well preserved it all is. It's a bit overwhelming though, there is so much... we were all on cultural overload yesterday.. affectionately known as ABC (another bloody church?)
Of course, to balance the historical element, I am doing my fair sharing of wine tasting, which is definitely helping to give me perspective.. and a very important task!
Tomorrow is our free day and everyone is heading to Perugia for a day of shopping...also a important element of any good vacation!
Ciao!
During the past 4 days, we've visited many of the small hill towns in this area, which are all within a couple hours of where we are staying, outside Perugia. They are all amazing, in that they are all built into the sides of steep cliffs and now are all ancient cities which are perfectly preserved - it's like stepping back in time, climbing through their narrow cobblestone streets. And every time we reach somewhere that we think is the most beautiful place ever, the next city is even more spectacular than the last! It really is unbelievable..
We've visited Gubbio, Todi, Orvieto (where we tasted wines in the old Etruscan wine cellars that were built in 1290) and visited an ancient Etruscan burial ground (Necropoli) outside of Orvieto, from 700 B.C., Spello and Montefalco..
Yesterday was a highlight, as we spent most of the day in Assisi, visiting the Basilica of San Francesco (St. Francis of Assesi), with its amazing walls and walls of frescos and artwork - there are two huge churches, built one on top of the other, plus many other important oratorios with more frescos... it is amazing how old and well preserved it all is. It's a bit overwhelming though, there is so much... we were all on cultural overload yesterday.. affectionately known as ABC (another bloody church?)
Of course, to balance the historical element, I am doing my fair sharing of wine tasting, which is definitely helping to give me perspective.. and a very important task!
Tomorrow is our free day and everyone is heading to Perugia for a day of shopping...also a important element of any good vacation!
Ciao!
5 comments:
Hey there...
Besides your purse being stolen, glad to see your having a fun and interesting trip. All quiet here (except work being busy and Ivan dominating the news).
Talk to you soon.
Dudley D.
Your writing reads exactly like your speech - including the length of your sentences (i.e. very long!). Seriously enjoying your postings. Strange lack of any comments on anyone that might be called Antonio or Fabrizio (random names chosen from the air). There must be some editing going on. Your friend, LF
I vote that "Dad" has his own blog - he is so funny
Hello to everyone traveling Italy at this hour,
When I found this website my eyes grow big and thirsty for more information about the regions of Unbria and Calabria. I will be traveling the "entirety" of Italy in Jan/Feb-05...well knowing that is itsn't the "hot" time a year to visit if you like to live in a bikini.
Flying in to Milano I will be heading south a long the coast to Napoli and Scelea. I will be traveling along the oast of Italy counter-clock-wise til I again reach Milano. However , there are pleanty of time to visit inland cities as well. Food, wine and chocolate sounds just right to me...gorgeous countrysides and histiric hamlets are equally as delightful. I am actually in Italy to buy a small piece of property. One can get tired of the long canadian winters and too humid summers. Italy....here I come...(^_^) Pernille
Hello to everyone traveling Italy at this hour,
When I found this website my eyes grow big and thirsty for more information about the regions of Unbria and Calabria. I will be traveling the "entirety" of Italy in Jan/Feb-05...well knowing that is itsn't the "hot" time a year to visit if you like to live in a bikini.
Flying in to Milano I will be heading south a long the coast to Napoli and Scelea. I will be traveling along the coast of Italy counter-clock-wise till I again reach Milano. However , there are plenty of time to visit inland cities as well. Food, wine and chocolate sounds just right to me...gorgeous country sides and historic hamlets are equally as delightful. I am actually in Italy to buy a small piece of property. One can get tired of the long Canadian winters(being a born Dane) and too humid summers. Italy....here I come...(^_^ Pernille
Post a Comment